Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Single on Valentine's Day;


So we all know the fourteenth of every February has been, nationally  deemed Valentine’s Day, and that I, for some unknown reason, am completely, utterly, and inexplicably in love with the holiday. I shouldn’t be, by societal standards. I’m a single girl.I’m supposed to hate it; I was, after all, bred in a culture where things like 50 First Dates are supposed to happen to everyone.

I’m hardly bitter about being single on Valentine’s Day; I’ve gone the past six months sans another half quite happily (this was the first Valentine's I've ever been single!).


Valentine’s Day is not a reminder of this self-conjured thought of your inability to attract men (or women, whichever sex you choose). It is but a day in the year that so happens to fall on the fourteenth of February, but if we insist on making it significant, then, Valentine’s Day is a reminder of the freedom and independence you have as a self-sufficient woman. All you need is you: you alone hold the key to your aspirations, happiness, and successes. No (wo)man is necessary to feel whole or empowered.
Is it depressing to feel alone, or left out, when all other ladies have little bouquets and kisses awaiting them? Perhaps. It all depends entirely on your perspective. I know one too many girls who loathe Valentine’s Day – and all things associated with it – with their entire being. They mope, gorging themselves with tubs of Ben & Jerry’s or rolls of cookie dough as they dig out all self-imagined faults and allow themselves to submit to their insecurities. All the while watching sappy romance films, one after the other. I suppose I can attempt to empathise, yet those of you who have been following me or actually know me, know that I value my independence above all else
I have never harbored any desire to have a boyfriend for that very reason; being single allows for so much more freedom. And if you don't feel good about yourself, you're vulnerable to sabotaging, in-securities, dependency and intimacy issues. Loving and respective yourself FIRST, means you know that you will be okay if your relationship doesn't quite work out. Being single is an opportunity to set goals, and work on any projects that you've been putting off. Along with being a little selfishly indulgent! 


Thus, for you single ladies out there, embrace your independence. Take advantage of it; wear red and pull out your best damn dress. Take a bit of time to coif the hair and do the makeup – nothing too extravagant, of course. Think to emphasise your best features and go out on Valentine’s Day à la the Sex and the City girls pre-marriage, and just enjoy yourself.

So how did I spend Valentine's Day? I spent the evening with the best girls in the world, munching on popcorn watching Breakfast at Tiffany's on the big screen. They're all I need to help me live and love life. 


Happy-belated- Valentine's Day! 
LOVE. 
wwndie xxx.