Tuesday, September 20, 2011

#7 Social Media + Blogs [QUTOJ1]

I wave the online journalism news flag. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wakes up in the morning and checks Facebook/Twitter first thing in the morning. . . It's like the morning paper! Yet it really does haunt me everyday and is quite shameful as an aspiring journo myself.

I'm certain I'm not the only one who googled Osama Bin Laden's death when it trended on twitter, heard about Amy Winehouse's death on Facebook, and received updates on the Royal Wedding on both of these social media sites. It's not unusual is it?

I mean the way we all used to get our news was via word of mouth- even if it was from our neighbours or a friend of a friend. It used to be all about being in a community. And like I mentioned in earlier posts in regards to the 10 year anniversary of 9/11- Facebook and Twitter have now become like giant online communities, where we all come together, share our thoughts, commemorate together and spread messages quicker than ever.

But that's not it's only use it seems- in Jeff Bullas' article it seems bloggers are more and more using social media as forms of engagement with their readers.

As a blog writer myself this is true- how else would people read my blogs? With a click of a button I can share it on facebook and/or twitter!

Blogs are ever evolving and it's now a lot more than just writing "to yourself" and hoping someone would read it. It's another way to connect, engage and share thoughts with readers all around the world.

Collaborating with social media, it can help extend business clientele, can be used as a marketing tool, communication tool even an education medium.    It can also allow your business to sell like a "hot pancake." Quite frankly, it can also be assumed that blogs ARE a form of social media.

It's safe to say, blogs and social media are here to stay and boy are they changing fast- where will they be in the next 5 years?

Come on Gen-Y! Let's show these businesses what we've got- this is one of our best assets yet.